Friday 8 June 2012

Matte Lip meet Über-Balm




Keeping up with the latest makeup trends and product launches is a must when you're a makeup artist, and is, I'm delighted to say, one of the things I love about my job. 

On the one hand I'm fascinated with the way trends begin, the way they trickle down slowly into the mainstream, only to reappear again 20 years later (yes, I'm talking about you, 'Heather Shimmer' by Rimmel).

And then there's the product launches. There must be a statistic out there somewhere that says a new makeup/beauty product launches every 2 seconds (at least that's what it feels like!). But you know what, materialism aside (who actually needs 17 lipsticks?), the proliferation of new makeup and beauty products can only be a good thing. For one thing, it means products have to keep competing with each other in order to survive. And competition, as we know, drives quality.

One trend that has recently been ringing loudly in my ear (and burning my eyes, cos it's EVERYWHERE) is the rise of the über-balm. An obvious retaliation against the super-bright, über-matte lip of recent years. And they're all doing it...
Clarins Instant Smooth Crystal Lip Balm
in 'Crystal Coral' (RRP £16.50)
Revlon Lip Butter 
in 'Tutti Frutti' (currently on offer at Boots for £5.99)



Shu Uemura's Rouge Unlimited lipstick in 'CR330' (RRP £19)
Click here for a great review of the range

The Shu Uemura range is more pigmented than the other 'balms' but extremely moisturising:
"...containing jojoba seed oil, shea butter, ceramides and a moisture-lock cream (a ‘vegetal origin paste’ that keep the active ingredients close to the lips)".  - Makeup Stash (Singaporean blogger)




Do my lips look chubby in this?




And presenting, this trend's principle offender... *deep breath*:  Clinique's Chubby Stick Moisturising Lip Colour Balm RRP £16 (to give it its full, Bingley-Pottersly-Smythe title...I mean, seriously)

I used to work in advertising so am able to envisage the type of media planning that must have gone into the launch of this little wonder stick but my, my, open any magazine this month (including last month) and there they are, placed rather ingeniously alongside cubes of 'wibbly-wobbly' jelly (the very sight of which instantly make my mouth water). But I'm sold! And clearly it's only a matter of time before I buy...

Personally, I think sheer washes of colour are great. Here's 4 reasons why:
- you don't need a mirror to apply them
- they come in a variety of spankingly hot, Pantone-inspired brights (The gods at Pantone have decreed Tangerine Orange Colour Of The Year don't cha know!)
- they keep your lips moisturised so you don't have to cart around lippie and balm in your handbag
- great for all work, date, mid dinner-party top-up scenarios

Has the sheer-wash trend washed with you yet? 

No comments:

Post a Comment