Wednesday 28 January 2015

A Manicure Marvel (and £5 off your first booking)




Hi, I'm Natalie and I have a slight (ahem) obsession with nails. Not nail art mind you, although some of the more subtle nail art designs can be unbelievably chic such as this and this (but more on that another time).

Today I want to tell you about a new mobile manicure service that has recently launched in London. Ladies (and gents) you'll want to jot this one down in your little black books. Trust me.

GlossPod's new 'manicures on demand' service mean you can book a nail technician to come meet you anywhere (and I mean, literally ANYWHERE)... your home, your office, the tube?! (seriously, check it out). 

Personally I find the idea of having a mani in the comfort (and warmth) of my own home, with no make up on and wearing my slippers, unbelievably appealing. So that's exactly what I did.



The online booking process took mere minutes and was later confirmed by text. On the morning of, my nail technician Jade arrived exactly on time, knocking softly at the door (very much appreciated!).  Jade was friendly (had a lovely energy about her), was quick to set up and keen that I was comfortable. 

Manicures can make for a wonderful treat, but only when they're done well (a bad manicure can leave me feeling narked for days, not to mention frustrated having spent my hard-earned cash on a service that I could frankly do better myself at home!)

A decent manicure should include:
  • a brief consultation
  • accurate and gentle nail filing 
  • cuticle soak and tidy
  • hand and arm massage
  • professional application (base coat, 2x coats of preferred colour, top coat)
  • a smile/conversation

...and that's exactly what I got from GlossPod




Image credit: Nail The Day Blog

I'd been wearing a lot of burgundy shades on my nails and was feeling a bit 'meh' about residual Christmas sparkle so Jade and I talked about the power of a good red. She had a great selection with her but in the end I opted for one of my trusted favourites: Big Apple Red by OPI (from £11.95).

I'd recently switched from 'squoval' to almond (BIG move people) and was keen to keep my new nail shape. We both agreed Big Apple Red looks stunning on shorter, groomed nails so she carefully filed them down checking in with me that the length and finish were both OK.

Jade was great to chat to. I discovered she'd owned her own salon previously, spent several years working in fashion and had even done Ms. Wintour's talons! (well if it's good enough for Anna).

After filing and tidying my nails she gave me a wonderful hand and arm massage using CND's divine smelling Mango and Coconut hand and body lotion. I could still smell it on my hands several hours later and was seriously tempted to buy some. Jade said it works wonders on super dry and cracked winter hands (and she was right).

Jade's Top Tips
During my manicure Jade gave me two fabulous tips:

1. Cuticle Maintenance
During my manicure I was bemoaning to Jade that not all nail technicians know how to correctly trim back the cuticle and asked if there was something I could do at home to help keep them in check. She suggested rubbing CND's cuticle treatment* into bare nails and then gently buffing them against a dry towel (top tip!). 
* NB: CND Cuticle Eraser® is the at-home product. CuticleawayTM - if you can hold of some - is salon grade.

2. The Big Clean Up
I've always used cotton buds to clean up any splodges but Jade suggested investing in Wah Nail's clean up brush (£4 at Boots). Simply dip the brush in nail varnish remover for a super neat finish.

Coat vintage Hobbs, shawl Accessorize, rings Monica Vinader, lip: Nars Dragon Girl velvet matte pencil

My manicure lasted seven days, only slightly chipping only on the right hand after five days' wear.
very welcome treat.

Makeup Debate Offer!
Simply enter MAKEUPDEBATE at the GlossPod checkout for £5 off your first booking (whoop!). Terms and conditions apply. Please see website for details yadda yadda.

GlossPod manicures: Home manicures from £25.00. Office manicures available as corporate packages (prices starting at £15 per person for group bookings) or individual sessions (please enter your office address via the 'Home' booking).

Broken Nail? No problem! GlossPod now offer an Emergency booking service (from £15).

No comments:

Post a Comment