Monday 12 January 2015

An indulgent purchase (naughty!)



When it comes to spending money on luxury makeup or beauty I'm surprisingly fussy. 

I nearly always test products to death before I buy them... (a recent exception to this rule was the Aesop Fabulous Face Oil I bought on Christmas Eve when I should have been buying presents for other people??! I blame the super cute Aussie male assistant who served me, haha). 

Oribe 
For those of you who haven't heard of this insanely beautiful-smelling haircare brand, Oribe (pronounced OR-bay) is the name of its founder - tattooed Cuban hairdresser to the stars who shot to fame in the 90's, unleashing his own product line in 2007. 

Oribe has crafted a unique spot in the luxury haircare market with his products famed for helping us mere mortals achieve “over-the-top sexy 60’s fashion scary hair,” (click here to read the full Oribe background story). But the one thing you'll hear people say about his products again and again is 'Omg it smells so good!' (it's divine).





Dry Shampoo - The Mid-Week God-Send
I've used dry shampoos pretty much ever since they first launched and have test-driven a number of different brands from Klorane's Oat Milk Dry Shampoo (£7.50 at John Lewis; key ingredient is nettle which helps to balance sebum production) to the king of drugstore dry shampoos Batiste (from £2.99 at Boots and Superdrug). Batiste is at a great price point but has always been a bit 'talcy' for me. I loved Klorane when I was using it but as it required ordering online or a trip to John Lewis I seem to have migrated back to more readily available ones.



A dry shampoo that's been growing on me recently is Aussie's Mega Instant Miracle Dry Shampoo (£4.99). I wasn't sure at first as it didn't seem to work?? Left my hair feeling more greasy (like a shine spray) than dry but I've taken to spraying it liberally all over, concentrating on the roots and then roughing it into the whole hair which seems to work well. It's also very non-talcy.

Back to Oribe...

A Moment of Madness
I've lusted after Oribe's Dry Texturizing Spray (£38 for 300ml) ever since it was first introduced to me during a shopping trip to a local Space NK in 2012. Now, £38 is a heck of a lot to spend on dry shampoo (eek!) but I'd say it's much more than just a dry shampoo. For one, having used it a couple of times I love the way it doesn't feel 'icky' in my hair or on my hands after I've used it. It styles beautifully and gives my hair a weightless 'oomph' that just seems to get better the longer it's in. Lastly it really does smell divine and there's something quite feminine about the concept of hair perfume that puts a little spring in my step and a glint in my eye. But as I said at the beginning, no-one really needs this product in their life but it's definitely a treat ;)




How To Use Dry Shampoo
- If your hair is freshly washed and you want to add some va-va-voom first ensure your hair is completely dry. Then lift sections of the hair and spray at the root. Next, tip your hair upside-down and spray the back. Finish by giving your hair a bit of a ruffle and a style as you feel (works wonders on freshly washed hair if you have thin hair like me).

- If it's been 2-3 days since you last washed your hair and you want to eek it out a little longer, first brush your hair then repeat the above process. I also find spraying my hair liberally the night before works well so that by the morning it's looking fresh (you might want to wrap your hair in a light scarf to keep the dry shampoo from your pillow).

Do you have a favourite dry shampoo? Dying to try Ruth Crilly's Colab range (from £1.99) and I've heard mixed reviews about Bumble & Bumble's Prêt-à-Powder (£21) and Thickening Dryspun Finish Spray (£21.50).

And finally... (I couldn't resist).

Turn zee head upside down like so and spray :)

No comments:

Post a Comment