Saturday 7 July 2012

Shellac Nails


This week, I had the pleasure of being given a complimentary Shellac* manicure with Perfect 10 Mobile Beauty.

Founded by award-winning beautician and entrepreneur Claire Aggarwal, Perfect 10 Mobile Beauty brings salon-quality beauty treatments - massage, waxing, nails - into the home (click here for their treatment list and prices).




Claire carried out the treatment herself and was quick, precise and professional. I chose a sophisticated, pale-pink colour, knowing I would probably tire of something too dark or too bright.

During the treatment, Claire explained "Shellac isn't as abrasive as Gelish, which is another type of UV nail gel. The main difference is that Gelish manicures can last 3-4 weeks, whereas Shellac manicures will only last up to 14 days." 

I had a Gelish manicure for my sister's wedding last September and whilst I was completely wowed by the results (a stunning French manicure which remained chip-free for a whole 3 1/2 weeks!) my nails were definitely weaker and more prone to breakages once the manicure had been removed (this could be because the nails have to be buffed prior to Gelish application - whereas they don't with Shellac - or perhaps because I removed the Gelish myself using an acetone nail varnish remover and a file. Always best to pay for removal to limit damage to your nails).

A Shellac manicure with Perfect 10 Mobile Beauty costs £38.50. I had mine done in my office in Covent Garden (a nice way to break up the working day!) but will definitely be booking a home Shellac manicure and pedicure from Perfect 10 before my next holiday!

Playing around with OPI Shatter - looks fab over gold

As a makeup artist, I love experimenting with nail colours and effects. Here are a few of my own manicures from recent months...

The iconic Illamasqua nail

Candy Pink French - a more youthful version of the classic French

Whichever colour you choose, be sure to apply a coat of Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat**. You will not be disappointed.

* A Shellac manicure 'uses a UV light and specially developed polish technology to stay on your nails for at least 14 days. The polish/gel does not chip, scratch, or smudge.' - source: Shellac Nails CND
** See my previous blog post: "5 Beauty Products I would find it very hard to live without"

No comments:

Post a Comment