Friday 17 October 2014

The day I test drove the matte nail



Call me old fashioned but a matte top coat feels quite new age. I know the concept of a matte nail has been around for a while but I hadn't really dabbled in it. That was, until yesterday.

I'm a big fan of shaking things up and experimenting and quite like being taken out of my comfort zone. Much of what I love about makeup stems from an instinctive playfulness, a desire to touch and feel textures and observe the way certain colours make me feel. So you can imagine my delight when Nails Inc's Matte Top Coat (£12) appeared in my Glossybox a few weeks ago. I couldn't wait to take it for a test drive.



My interest was doubly piqued when Ciaté's 'Ditch the heels', £9 (grrrrreat name), an Emerald City Green with glorious shine, also turned up. Green nails? Well don't mind it I do! Could they become my new go-to Autumnal bright?








Application:
- goes on glossy and in about 30 seconds has 'turned' matte

Observations about going Matte:
- feels instantly modern
- works equally on short and long nails (but I imagine looks amazing on long squoval or round shaped nails)
- not as 'dull' as I thought it would be. Colour still looks vibrant.
- is not the same as when your glossy nail starts to lose its lustre. This is matte all over.

Colours I can see it working well on:
- white
- nude
- black
- burgundy
- deep purple
- navy
- royal blue

Fancy having a go?
- Premium buy:
Nails Inc Westminster Bridge Matte Top Coat, £12
- Budget buy:
Barry M Matte Top Coat £2.99

The green certainly has felt different and contemporary. I can see it working well teamed with a floral shirt or a cream lace top. I'd like to try the matte top coat over one of my classic deep burgundies. Now that would be chic.




No comments:

Post a Comment