Friday 25 January 2013

PRO TIPS: Dry, cracked lips



Image courtesy of www.fitsugar.com

The snow may be disappearing but my poor, dry, weather-beaten cracked lips are ever present.

It seems that no matter how many glasses of water or pots of herbal tea I drink (Rooibos being my herbal of the month) I just can't seem to compete with the constant sea-saw of bone-rattling winds versus 'as-high-as-she-goes' central heating.

For those of you in the same boat, here are my Top 3 Lip Savers:




1. Lucas Papaw (25g tube, £4.95 + P&P from pawpawshop.co.uk)

I remember buying my first Lucas' Papaw tube back in 2006 whilst living in Melbourne (ah, those were the days) but had been aware of its cult following for some time (I have an image in my mind of a model being snapped in the early Noughties with a Papaw tube sticking out of her bag?).

'Pawpaw' (often spelt 'papaw') is simply another word for 'Papaya' and papayas,  as we all know, *ahem*, are a good source of 'vitamins, minerals, [and] amino acids'.

Importantly, Lucas' Papaw ointment - the formula for which has remained unchanged for 100 years(!) - is known for its antibacterial and antimicrobial* properties, making it an ideal product for use on chapped lips, burns, insect bites and chaffing.

A cheaper alternative to Elizabeth Arden's Eight Hour Cream (£25), this is a must for Sheilas-on-the-go.




2. Nivea Creme (£1.49 for 50ml from Boots)

When my lips are seriously chapped - i.e. when lip gloss makes things worse, not better - I turn to my trusty blue tub, aka good ol' Nivea Creme. Of course you can't really wear it during the day, unless you want to look like a zombie, but slather it on before you go to bed and you will wake up with NEW lips, I swear.

Also good for brides who want to soften up their lips on the morning of their wedding: Leave on for 15 mins, wipe off with a tissue and lightly buff lips with a damp face cloth or towel. Follow with a light application of lip balm.


3. Chantecaille Lip Potion (£36 for 4.5g from Liberty)

So very decadent and dare I say it, reassuringly expensive, this luxurious lip treatment incorporates macadamia oil, Shea butter, vitamin E, aloe as well as rose and lavender flower. It's the champagne of lip balms, leaving lips with an unbeatable silky smoothness. Thankfully - as one would hope for the price - a little goes a long way. Put it on your Christmas list now for next year.

* Wiki explanation: "Antimicrobial liquids kill or inhibit the growth of microorganisms such as bacteria".

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post - I haven't tried Lucas' pawpaw but I have been meaning to. I do think that *someone* needs to create a pawpaw / Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream but tinted in a rose colour. Like the effect that the Vaseline rose balm gives, but of course with proper moisturising qualities, for ladies like me with naturally pale lips but who don't want to wear lipstick and who want moisture. Tinted lip stains and synthetic, cheap tinted lip balms just don't cut it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! There must be a company out there who use organic/high grade ingredients that do a tinted version? I wonder if the Organic Pharmacy might do one, or have you tried Neal's Yard? I do love Vaseline's Rose balm but it isn't as moisturising as plain Vaseline. If you find a good tinted Papaw/Arden hybrid, let me know! xx

      Delete
  2. Wow that Chantecaille Lip Potion is pricy! I never use vaseline, its rather nasty to thinks its a by product of a mining process. Thanks for the excellent article and blog. I have really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete